Monday, July 16, 2012

A Harry Potter Marathon and Homemade Cinnamon Rolls!


Yesterday my boys and I had a Harry Potter movie marathon!  We stayed in our pajamas all day long, covered the family room with pillows and blankets and got through as many movies as we possibly could.  I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan.  I love, love, love the books and have read each of them multiple times.  I saw every movie in the movie theater and have since re-watched each of them.  The only thing I haven't done is watch them all in order in one day.  I can honestly say....I still haven't.  I forgot how long all of the movies are.  They are not 1 1/2 to 2 hours long.....they are all 2 to 3 hours long!  We only got through the first 4 movies and still need to continue  throughout the week to complete that last 4 disks. 

Since we didn't want too many interuptions during the day, I planned our meals ahead of time.  Don't laugh but I actually went through the Harry Potter Cookbook looking for ideas for our themed day.  In the end I didn't make any Harry Potter recipes, instead we opted for homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast!

My Mom has subscribed to Bon Appetit magazine for as long as I can remember and occasionally one or two of them end up in my house ;).  I'm sure she knows I take them.....well, she probably knows I take them.....ok, ok, ok....I take them without her knowledge but only if there is a REALLY good recipe!  In March of 2008 there was a fabulous looking recipe for Cinnamon Rolls, had to give them a try and they were yummy. 

I am always on the quest for the perfect cinnamon roll recipe. I will admit, I haven't found it yet.  I stress the YET....because, I WILL FIND IT!!!  I have a copycat Cinnabon recipe that I love (but can't find), and I have tried most every cinnamon roll recipe out there.  My kids tell me they are all the best ones I've ever made, so I have come to the conclusion that I make good cinnamon rolls, no matter what the recipe!  I always tweak the recipes a bit.  For instance, I prefer brown sugar in my filling, I like lots of cinnamon in my filling, and I prefer to cut my rolls bigger than many recipes call for because I like a bigger, taller, cinnamon roll.  

This recipe makes for a tender roll and the dough is extremely easy to work with.  Even those of you who are nervous about yeast doughs will find it super easy.
Spread all of that butter over the dough, this will help turn your cinnamon/sugar into a gooey, yummy filling!
 The recipe makes quite a lot of filling so use it according to your tastes, if you prefer a sweet cinnamon roll, use all of it.  Rolling and sprinkling the dough is a fun task for your kids and gets them involved and helping in the kitchen.  I had Max as my helper yesterday !
Bon Appetit called for a cream cheese frosting which I didn't use.  It is my favorite way to frost a cinnamon roll but I am outnumbered in my home and we use a simple powdered sugar glaze.  Please make sure to add the vanilla to your glaze, I think it gives it an extra depth of flavor.

Well, it is Monday, my blog is finished for the day and there are leftover cinnamon rolls to be eaten....I'm thinking it's time to start the 5th movie!!

Enjoy and wish me luck getting through all of these movies!

This recipe is featured on:

Cinnamon Rolls 

Dough:
1 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 1/2 cups (or more) all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 1/4 teaspoons rapid-rise yeast 
1 teaspoon salt
Nonstick vegetable oil spray

Filling:
3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Dough:
Combine milk and butter in glass measuring cup. Microwave on high until butter melts and mixture is just warmed to 120°F to 130°F, 30 to 45 seconds. Pour into bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add 1 cup flour, sugar, egg, yeast, and salt. Beat on low speed 3 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. Add 2 1/2  cups flour. Beat on low until flour is absorbed and dough is sticky, scraping down sides of bowl. If dough is very sticky, add more flour by tablespoonfuls until dough begins to form ball and pulls away from sides of bowl. Switch paddle to dough hook and knead on medium speed until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if sticky, about 8 minutes. Form into ball. Lightly oil large bowl with nonstick spray. Transfer dough to bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then kitchen towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.

Filling:
Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl.

Punch down dough. Transfer to floured work surface. Roll out to 15x11-inch rectangle. Spread butter over dough, leaving 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar evenly over butter. Starting at 1 long side, roll dough into log, pinching gently to keep it rolled up. With seam side down, cut dough crosswise with thin sharp knife into 12 equal slices.

Spray 9 x13" glass baking dishes with nonstick spray. Arrange rolls cut side up (there will be almost no space between rolls). Cover baking dishes with plastic wrap, then kitchen towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until almost doubled in volume, 40 to 45 minutes.

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375°F. Bake rolls until tops are golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and invert immediately onto rack. Cool 10 minutes. Turn rolls right side up.

Glaze:
Combine powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla in medium bowl.  Mix until smooth and drizzle over rolls. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine 3/2008




21 comments:

  1. What an absolutely fun idea for a lazy day with your kids. And I could totally OD on those cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding ways to spend time with my two teenagers that makes all of us happy!!! Eating cinnamon rolls is like the cherry on top!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Mr. Warren!!! So great to hear from you, looks like you've been busy lately! Hope you are keeping yourself out of trouble! ;) LOL

      These are definitely NOT diet food, but worth the occasional extra calories!

      Delete
  3. These sound amazing!!!!! YUMMMM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are like the coolest mom ever. Will you adopt me? I love cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim Bee...you are so sweet! You are more than welcome to move in as long as you can handle all of the teenage boys that hang out at my house!!! LOL ;-)

      Delete
  5. Well, I guess if a recipe for Butterbeer Buns couldn't be found, cinnamon rolls will do ;-)... Seriously though, your cinnamon rolls look amazing.
    Didn't know about the Harry Potter cookbook? I loved the Harry Potter series, and that would be so fun to look through. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Starr! Promise me that if you find a recipe for Butterbeer Buns you will share it with me! How cool would that be? LOL

      Definitely look for the cookbook, it is really cute and there are some fun recipes in it!

      Delete
  6. I can't remember the last time I had a cinnamon roll. They look amazing. Do you think I could cover the pan after a few minutes to keep them from getting too brown and crunchy on top? For some reason I have this vision of really soft, almost gooey cinnamon rolls, even if I'm not sure if this is at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm....I have never tried this, but I am guessing it should work. It would likely create a little steam inside which would keep them pretty soft and gooey. I say you should try it and then come back and let us know! :)

      Delete
  7. They look delicious! Have you tried Nigella's Norwegian Cinnamon Scrolls? I add extra cinnamon and chopped pecans to the filling mixture. They are divine so I recommend giving that recipe a go ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great day! I LOVE HARRY POTTER :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these today and they are delicious! The dough was moist and soft but I might reduce the amount of sugar in the filling and omit the glaze next time. I added chopped pecans to the filling and they gave a wonderful crunch. Thanks for the recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing! Going to pin the recipe because like you I am always searching for that perfect recipe! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete