Thursday, July 19, 2012

Caribbean Turkey Jerk Sliders with Mango Salsa (and Pina Colada Jello Shots)


I promise you that I have a recipe to share with you today, but you will have to bear with me for a bit while I go off on a blogging tangent....but in a good way!  :)

Today I am feeling like a blogger!  What is a blogger?  According to Dictionary.com a blog is a Web site containing the writer's or group of writers' own experiences, observations, opinions, etc., and often having images and links to other Web sites.  A blogger is the keeper of such weblog or blog.  What this definition doesn't tell you is that as a blogger you can become part of a community of people who have the same hobbies or love of a craft.  In my case it is baking and cooking.  I never knew that I would meet and interact with so many other people who have this same love as I do.  I did not know that I would feel so much love, praise, encouragement, acceptance and friendship from so many strangers all over the world.

I started my blog because I am always baking and cooking and trying new recipes.  I am forever bugging my facebook friends and my children with pictures of all these experiments and I decided it would be nice to see if I could connect with other people out there who share my love of food and cooking.  I didn't know what I was getting myself into.  I have been lucky to have such supportive friends and family who have passed my blog along to all that they know.  I feel so honored to have such support and love from all of them.  Growing followers outside of friends and family has taken more effort.  I learned a lot searching the web and doing my research.

One of my greatest finds was Foodbuzz.com.  This is a wonderful site where bloggers, chefs, and people who just love to cook can share blog posts, pictures, recipes, etc.  It is a site where you can connect with these people and become friends with these people.  I feel so lucky to have found all of these wonderful bloggers who make me feel like a superstar baker!  These fellow bloggers are all over the world, reading my recipes and sharing theirs with me too.  I receive emails from some of these friends, lovely comments, and wonderful humor!  Pretty awesome!!  With Foodbuzz changing, I hope that I will find other ways to keep up with all of these wonderful bloggers!


Ok....back to the food!  I was recently invited to a themed get together.  The theme.....Tropical!  Put on your coconut bra and grass skirt, and pull out the rum!  What a great get together with so much yummy food!  Marinated shrimp, Grilled chicken with tropical salsa on coconut rice and my contribution.....Caribbean Turkey Jerk Sliders with Mango Salsa and Pina Colada Jello Shots!

I will admit....I have failed my blog!  I took only one picture of the sliders and none of the jello shots!  This could have something to do with tasting (just a tiny taste, I promise) the jello shots as I was making them (no really, probably just a sip).  But even without pictures I can promise you.....DELISH!!  Next time I make these I will post more pictures but for now, you will have to use your imagination!

Enjoy!

Caribbean Turkey Jerk Sliders with Mango Salsa


Sliders:
1 lb ground turkey
1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
2 tablespoons jerk marinade, plus more for after cooking
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 dozen slider buns or dinner rolls

Mix together and form your sliders.  I cook mine in my electric skillet but you can use your stovetop non-stick skillet.  Be sure to spray with non-stick spray.  Heat over medium-high heat for 3 minutes on each side.  Take off of the heat and brush the tops of your sliders with more jerk marinade.

Jerk Mayo:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons jerk seasoning

Mix together and set aside.

Mango Salsa:
3 fresh mangoes, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 small jalepeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of one lime
salt to taste

Mix all ingredients aside and let sit to meld the flavors together

Assemble the sliders:
Spread jerk mayonnaise on both sides of roll, place slider on roll and top generously with fresh mango salsa.

Pina Colada Jello Shots


1 packet unflavored gelatin
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup Malibu Rum

Heat pineapple juice to boiling and pour over gelatin.  Mix until disolved.  Allow this to cool to room temperature before adding your Malibu Rum.  Stir in rum.

Pour into small plastic or paper condiment cups and refrigerate until firm, approximately 2 hours.

Enjoy!!!

Award Time!


I have recently received an award from one very sweet and talented blogger!  The name of the blogger is Miss Messy (I love this name) and she makes such beautiful and yummy food, her pictures are always fabulous!  Please check out her blog Mess Makes Food.... (here)

The award was the Addictive Blog Award.


The rules are as follows:
Thank the person who nominated you and link them back.
  • Share a little bit about why you started blogging.
  • Copy and paste the award onto your blog.
  • Nominate up to 10 other bloggers you think are addictive enough to deserve the award.
My nominations are:


These bloggers tempt me every day with their wonderful posts!  They inspire me to keep trying new things and expand my skills in the kitchen!

8 comments:

  1. Never actually knew what a blogger is, didn't know there was a definition. Love the sliders because I love ground turkey and always looking for ways to spice it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sliders were amazing! The jello shots were pretty good too, I probably had more than my share, but hey, it was a party! I'm so lucky to have Becky in my life because I get to read her blog AND taste the food straight from her kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay first those sliders look wicked good. I love a good slider.

    Second I love that you got sloshed and didn't finish photos. This took me to my happy place. I am not allowed to drink for health reasons so I will live vicariously through you on this one. So funny! I know you said you just had a sip but in my imagination you got loaded, broke your camera, made a scene and got arrested. It's how my mind works. So we'll just go with it. Lol!

    Third thanks for the award you are now regretting giving to me. Muah!

    Okay now seriously, I think it's great when you start to connect with others and find your place in the blogging community. It's like the pieces of the puzzle come together. I am so glad you are having that moment. It's a great thing. Foodbuzz has been amazing in connecting all of us. So we'll all have to stay connected when it changes. But to find new blogs try using stumble or tasty kitchen. So many great blogs out there and you'll discover some great ones who don't use foodbuzz. We will keep in touch Becky. You're a total sweetheart. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try not to burst your bubble....I definitely had MORE than my fair share but I didn't break my camera. As for the arrest.....the judge will let me off the hook, since it was a first offense (and I offered to bake some cupcakes for him)!

      I will take a look at tasty kitchen and give stumble a try. So very much want to continue finding great blogs. But I am most happy that I won't have to miss chatting with my favorites! We will definitely keep in touch!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so so much for this award my friend, it means a lot :D
    And your mini sliders are adorable, tropical and delicious!

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you in the blogging world Becky! These sliders sound amazing and oh so tasty =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Becky!! This made my day <3

    and pina colada jello shots will make my night! ;)

    ReplyDelete