Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mudslide Cupcakes


I have been wanting to make these cupcakes ever since I first saw them.  Naomi from Bakers Royale makes the coolest cupcakes!  They are never just a cupcake and frosting, they always have some fun twist to them, and her pictures are fabulous!!  


I am not so great with the photography but I am always excited to try new recipes and new techniques!  Plus....who doesn't love a good Mudslide!!  :)


The cupcake is your basic chocolate cupcake.  I used the recipe she provided but you could use your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe or even use a box (gasp)!  You could even add Kahlua to the batter to give it an extra kick (I will try that next time).  I made mini cupcakes for my practice run!  What makes these cupcakes special is the frosting.  Swiss Meringue Buttercream (I know....I really am addicted), divide the frosting into two bowls and add Kahlua to one and Baileys to the other....instant Mudslide!


I put each frosting in it's own piping bag, cut  the tips from each and then placed them side by side in a large piping bag with my chosen tip.


This actually works!  The key to success is to make sure each frosting bag is filled with the same amount and positioned equally in the larger bag.  Also, try a few practice swirls to make sure the frostings are both coming out at the same time.


Finish off your cupcakes with some homemade fudge sauce drizzled over the top!


Mudslide Cupcakes (adapted from Bakers Royale)

Cupcakes:

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare muffin pans with liners or non-stick spray.

Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.

Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 18 minutes for standard size, 10 minutes for mini cupcakes.  Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

Frosting:

3 large egg whites, at room temperature
¾ sugar
Pinch salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into 16 pieces

Combine egg whites and sugar in a large heat proof bowl. Set the bowl over (not on) simmering water in a sauce pan and heat, whisking constantly until sugar has dissolved. The mixture is ready when with it is very warm to the touch, about 2 minutes and approximately 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer.

Remove from mixture from heat and transfer to a stand mixer bowl and beat on high until egg white mixture is fluffy, led to room temperature and holds stiff peaks, about 6 minutes.

Turn the speed to medium low, add salt and the butter a few pieces at a time, beating well after each addition. Turn the speed to high and beat until mixture is creamy, about 3-5 minutes more. Evenly split buttercream into two separate bowls.

Bailey’s and Chocolate Kahlua Frostings:
To make the Baileys buttercream add 3 tablespoons of Baileys into one bowl and beat until combined.

To make the Chocolate Kahlua Frosting in the other bowl, add 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and 4 oz of melted semi-sweet chocolate and 3 tablespoons of Kahlua and beat until combined.



Assembly:

Place each frosting in separate pastry bags and cut a small opening at the bottom. Use a third bag fitted with your preferred tip and then place both filled pastry bags inside. Make sure that the bottoms of both bags are pointed in the tip. Frost cupcakes as desired.

Drizzle with chocolate sauce to finish.

Recipe shared on:
My Turn for us Linky Party
Recipes For My Boys: Thursday's Treasures
Foodie Friends Friday



14 comments:

  1. These looks delicious! You are becoming a pro with the pastry bag now!!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn! I'm surprised by how much I enjoy piping frosting now...better all the time! :)

      Delete
  2. Would it be wrong to enjoy a cocktail while eating these? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anita...it could never be wrong to have a cocktail with these! I'm thinking a Mudslide would be overkill, so maybe something with Vodka! :)

      Delete
  3. I think I am in chocolate heaven my friend, how do you do it :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic and super-delicious looking cupcakes !

    ReplyDelete
  5. So creative, I love the mix of frosting. They look scrumptious! Thanks for bringing them to Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these sound so decadent! I just want to lick the frosting off my computer! Thanks for sharing, you're being featured at this week's Thursday's Treasures. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much Joan! I am honored to be featured on Chocolate, Chocolate, and more!!

      Delete
  7. mmm those look so good!!! I definitely would love to give these a try, and you decorated them beautifully! My cupcakes always look like a 3 year old iced them, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look absolutely great!! I will definetly try it this weekend. I found you on Chocolate Chocolate and more Chocolate blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look amazing! Will be trying soon!
    ceecee
    withinthekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete