Friday, August 31, 2012

Caramel Sandwich Cookies


It has been a frustrating couple of days with blogger but the issue is resolved and I can now upload pictures to my blog again and get my posts out!  YAY!!!  Now I can share the recipe I have been promising all week.....

Caramel Sandwich Cookies!  I had a bit of homemade caramel leftover from my Birthday Cupcakes, you know the one..."Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Caramel Filling and Caramel Swiss Meringue Buttercream".  I'm sure you are all surprised to hear there was any caramel left over, I know that I am shocked.  Anywhoooo, I can't stand wasting food so I had to come up with a new recipe to use it up.  I was temped to just make more cupcakes but the boys were begging me for cookies and the boys are pretty persuasive when it comes to my baking. 

  
Years ago, Gourmet magazine had a recipe for Butter Cookies with Dulce de Leche and thankfully the wonderful Epicurious.com had the recipe on their site.  I didn't use canned dulce de leche but instead used the leftover caramel from my cupcakes.  My recipe keeps well in the refrigerator, just pull it out and bring it to room temperature and it spreads easily.  You could also heat it up over a double boiler or in the microwave if you want to make it pourable.  If you make your own caramel recipe or buy storebought caramel, make sure that it the super thick, so that it doesn't all squish out of the cookie sandwiches!

Used my new silpat!
The butter cookie recipe was easy, delicious and not too sweet.  The addition of the cornstarch made for a flaky and tender shortbread.  My favorite aspect of the recipe was that the dough did not need to be chilled before rolling and cutting.  This was a huge time saver for me!  


Bake just until the cookies firm up and the edges begin to turn golden.  They do not bake for long.


After they cool, fill with that delicious caramel and dust with powdered sugar just to make them look even prettier!

The only thing I changed for the cookie recipe was to substitute vanilla paste for the vanilla extract and add Malibu rum instead of brandy.  We all know that I absolutely LOVE the look of vanilla beans in any dessert.  I think it really adds to the appeal.  If you prefer to use vanilla extract, the cookie will still be just as fabulous!!

The moral of the story is....don't waste your left over caramel!  Also, don't eat all of your homemade caramel because you are going to want to make these cookies!!!  If you do eat all of your homemade caramel, buy a can of dulce de leche at the market and make these cookies anyways!!!  ;-)

This recipe is featured on the following:

Caramel Sandwich Cookies
Yield- 10-15 sandwich cookies, depending on size of cutter

3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 to 1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon Malibu rum or brandy
1/4 teaspoon vanilla paste (can substitute extract)
About 1/4 cup homemade caramel (thick) or dulce de leche*
Confectioners sugar for dusting

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a large baking sheet.

Whisk together cornstarch, 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.

Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then beat in egg yolks, rum, and vanilla paste. Stir in flour mixture until combined, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons flour if dough is sticky. (Dough should be soft.)

Form dough into a disk and roll out into an 11-inch round (1/8 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin. Cut out 20 rounds with 2" cutter (reroll scraps if necessary) and transfer to sheet, arranging rounds 1/2 inch apart.

Bake until firm and pale golden around edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool 10 minutes.

Sandwich cookies with about 1 teaspoon caramel sauce. Dust with confectioners sugar.

Adapted from epicurious.com











7 comments:

  1. Those cookies look yummy and you can use the last of the summer's fruit to make filling also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome idea Lisa!!! I would love this with some sort of peach filling with the caramel drizzled over the top! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love anything with caramel, so these are right up my alley! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday! Glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Don't forget to come back and VOTE on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look awesome. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and hope that you will join us this week with more great recipes.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete