Sunday, August 19, 2012

Blackberry Peach Crumble

The boys and I just got back from a trip to see my Sister and her family in Washington.  Soooo much fun and sooooo relaxing!  We were off the grid for most of the vacation and loving it!  It was great to not worry about school, work, facebook, video games, etc.  The boys absolutely LOVE spending time with their Aunt and Uncle and especially their cousins (these kids are INSEPARABLE).  We are so lucky to have such a fun-loving, prank-pulling, sarcastic and wonderful family!  There is never a problem entertaining each other and we spent most of our days doing puzzles, reading, going to the lake, riding ATVs and roasting s'mores over the campfire!  Totally relaxing, although, you do need to be on your guard because you never know when my brother-in-law Pat might have you believing some crazy (and false) story, or asking if your food smells weird (don't ever fall for this, btw), or hiding one of his socks in your suitcase (YES, I know you did it)!


My favorite memories of all of our visits involve me and my Sissy doing puzzles until all hours of the morning, drinking wine, eating chocolate that we have hidden from the kids, and talk, talk, talking!  Ok, my second favorite part of all these visits is the Cheesy Potatoes, she makes the best Cheesy Potatoes!  :)

I also really LOVE all of the blackberries that grow on their property, bushes as far as the eye can see and taller than all of us!  The kids have no problem running out there to pick bowls full of beautiful, plump, delicious blackberries....and I have no problem baking them up into something yummy!!  I should say, I have no problem taking what is leftover from their escapades and turning them into something yummy.  Sometimes they can't resist painting their faces in blackberry juice or having a blackberry fight!  


It was a vacation and time to relax, so I decided to go for simple and make a crumble with the blackberries and some fresh peaches from the store (Fred Meyer....my FAVORITE).


 Score the bottom of those peaches with a little X before dropping them into boiling water to loosen the skin.
 The peaches just take 30 seconds or so in the boiling water.
 The skins should slip right off!
 Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.
Add those yummy blackberries and get the topping ready.
 Sprinkle the crumble on and it's ready for the oven!
 Remember....crumbles always taste best with a good puzzle!

Super easy and perfectly yummy summertime dessert!

Enjoy!!

This post is part of the "Gallery of Favorites" over at The 21st Century Housewife!

Blackberry Peach Crumble

Filling:
5-6 peaches
2 cups blackberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Crumble Topping:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces

Preheat the Oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter an 8 inch square baking dish or 9 inch pie dish, set aside.

Lower peaches into boiling water for 30 seconds and remove.  Peel the peaches (skins should slip off easily) and slice into 1/2 inch thick slices.  Toss with the granulated sugar and flour,  then gently fold in the blackberries. Spoon the mixture into prepared dish.

In another bowl, mix the flour, oats, sugars, salt and cinnamon until thoroughly mixed.  Cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly.  Sprinkle mixture over fruit.

Bake for 45 minutes, until crumble topping is golden brown and fruit is tender and bubbly.


3 comments:

  1. That looks really good, a delicious summer dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww I am really happy you had such a wonderful vacation my friend :D
    Lovely looking crumble to come back with a bang, it looks absolutely utterly heavenly!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely family holiday! I love trips where you get to make memories!

    I had forgotten the trick about scoring peach skin on the bottom before putting them in boiling water like that - my late Mom taught me years ago, and all I had remembered was the boiling water part. Thank you for reminding me - it is a great tip! Your blackberry peach crumble looks fantastic - freshly picked blackberries are the best :)

    ReplyDelete