Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Happy Blogiversary To Me!!! (Oh...and Jamoca Almond Fudge Cupcakes)


One year ago today my blog was born!  The blog was an idea I had played around with for a while and one final push from my niece Samantha got me going.  She was the one who encouraged me to go to blogspot.com and get this blog started!  I did it and I am so happy that I did.  This is a place where I can be creative and express myself.  I absolutely love baking, I always have and I am thrilled to be able to share this love with people!

Thanks to all of you who support me and encourage me and read my posts and make my recipes. A big thanks to my kids and my Mom and all of my friends who act as taste testers for my creations!  I am still amazed and thrilled that so many people follow me!  In one short year I have over 92 who subscribe via Google, 87 who subscribe via email and I just passed 300 "likes" on Facebook!  Not too bad for someone who squeezes blogging into an insanely busy schedule!

This being my blogiversary and my 85th published post, I thought it should be a special one!  Cupcakes seem to be my most popular posts so I created a special cupcake just for me!


When I was in college, I worked for a Doctors billing office.  My sister managed the office and there was a great group of people working there, including my Mom!  We had a blast!!  Lots of potlucks and office parties and for every Birthday, we would get a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Cake.  My favorite flavor was Jamoca Almond Fudge Ice Cream Cake!  I Love the coffee ice cream with chocolate fudge ribbons running through it and toasted almonds.  So yummy!  These are the flavors I decided to use to create my special cupcake!  A chocolate fudge cupcake with coffee swiss meringue buttercream, fudge sauce drizzled over the top and a sprinkling of sliced almonds!

What a way to celebrate!  The taste of these cupcakes takes me back to all of those office parties and that yummy Baskin Robbins Ice Cream!

Thanks again for sharing this journey with me and for reading my blog!  I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!

~ Becky ~

Jamoca Almond Fudge Cupcakes


Cupcake adapted from Alice Medrich
2 cup all purpose flour
2 cup plus 4 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup plus 4 tablespoons unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and warm
4 large eggs
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup hot coffee

Line cupcake pan with paper liners and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt together thoroughly. Add the butter, eggs, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for one minute. Add half of the water and beat for 20 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the remaining water. Beat for 20-30 seconds until the batter is smooth. The batter will be thin enough to pour.

Divide it evenly among the lined cups. Bake 16- 18 minutes (rotating the pan from front to back half-way through the baking time), just until a toothpick inserted into a few of the cupcakes comes out clean. Set the pan on a rack to cool for ten minutes. Transfer the cupcakes from the pan to the rack and let them cool completely before frosting or filling.  Makes 24 cupcakes.

Coffee Swiss Meringue Buttercream

5 large egg whites
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 sticks butter, diced and softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder disolved in 2 tablespoons boiling water

Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl placed over simmering water. Bring mixture to 150 degrees F (or until sugar is completely disolved) while whisking constantly.

Transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl, fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium speed until mixture cools and doubles in volume.

Add butter in one piece at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition. The mixture may appear clumpy and almost curdled looking-this is normal. Keep mixing and it will become even and smooth again. Add salt and vanilla and mix to combine. Add espresso mixture and mix to incorporate.

Assemble Cupcakes
1/4 cup Hot Fudge Sauce, heated to pouring temperature (then cooled to room temperature)
1/4 cup toasted almond slices

Pipe buttercream frosting on cupcakes.  Place hot fudge sauce into a piping bag or ziplock sandwich bag, cut  off the tip and drizzle over each cupcake.  Sprinkle with toasted almond slices and EAT!

Enjoy!

Recipe shared on:
Adorned From Above - Wednesday Blog Hop
21st Century Housewife - Hearth and Soul Hop
Chocolate, Chocolate, and More - Thursday's Treasures
Foodie Friends Friday

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Bubbly!!!! :) ooooh....bubbly....makes me wish I had champagne to celebrate!

      Delete
  2. Seriously, these look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this blog about a month ago and it one of my faves. Happy Birthday! I just looked back at the first blog and some of the older ones, too, and they are consistently enjoyable from the beginning up to now. Keep up the good work. You are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen....you just made my day! Thank you for stopping by the first time but thank you even more for staying and hanging out with me!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Becky!!! It's been a thrill to get to know you and read your posts, and I love these cupcakes! So adorable. Can't wait to see what the next year holds :)

    Jess @ On Sugar Mountain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! I feel the same way! You are part of my blogging family and I'm so happy to share with each other and learn from each other! I hope we are still having this much fun baking and cooking for years to come! :)

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary! I raise a cupcake in your honor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!! These cupcakes look so insanely delicious and gorgeous!! Love the flavours too! Thank you for sharing the recipe :)

    What a lovely blog you have! As fellow bakers we can't wait to read more from you :) new follower here!

    Have a lovely day,

    Chloe & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blogiversary!! These look DELISH! May have to whip these up for the hubby this week :-)

    Also, wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. Hope you don't mind.

    If you want to read more about it, go here:

    http://onceuponacanvaskids.blogspot.com/2012/12/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Courtney! I am so happy to hear that you like my blog and my recipes! Let me know how you like the cupcakes! :)

      Delete
  8. These look delicious. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Today’s party is live. Here is the link.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/week-in-review-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will head over now to check out all the great posts!

      Delete
  9. Happy blogiversary. So sinfully delicious. Thanks for sharing on Foodie friends Friday.
    Your co-host from Nosh My Way,
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look absolutely delicious. And Happy belated blogiversary. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogiversary !
    Beautiful delicious looking cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow these cupcakes look glorious. Happy blogiversary! Pinned this recipe. Love it.

    ReplyDelete