Thursday, June 21, 2012

Rainbow Cupcakes

UPDATE: Ok, I have made these several times now and I can honestly say....FOOLPROOF!!  The only changes I have made is to the brightness of the colors based on the request of the client.  I LOVE this recipe and so does everyone who tries them.  I made them for my Birthday Party the other day and had pictures taken of the most recent batch.  The pictures turned out great and I had to share my favorite:


First of all.....I cannot even begin to tell you how much fun this was!!!  I was able to talk two teenage boys into mixing, coloring, stirring, layering, and baking these bad boys.  And....they did it willingly!!  They probably even enjoyed it!


Today we planned to visit my brother and sister-in-law and their family (including my grand-nieces and nephew).  When going to someone's house to visit, you should always take a treat.  You don't want to show up empty handed.  I thought my two adorable nieces would really LOVE these cupcakes with all of their bright colors and the gooey, yummy seven minute frosting!  Besides, it is the prerogative of the Aunt (or Grandmother) to feed copious amounts of sugar to all young family members who don't live with them!  It is tons of fun to feed someone else's kids sugar and then leave once you have them bouncing off the walls!  :)


I do not have a recipe for you today, more of a technique for Rainbow Cupcakes:

Step 1 - Take your favorite white cake recipe (mine is Martha Stewarts) or your favorite white cake mix.

Step 2 - Separate your batter into 5 bowls (more or less, depending upon how many colors you would like to use).


Step 3 - Add food coloring to each of the bowls (I use gel colors and make them super bright)


Step 4 - Spoon a layer of your first color into the bottoms of the cupcake liners, you can spread the layers out with a spoon if you prefer or do as I have and leave the spoonful where it lands.  I like the fun look of the colors swirling around.

Step 5 - Repeat layering with each of the colors and then bake as recipe directs.


Step 6 - Allow cupcakes to cool and then frost as desired.  I used my famous Seven Minute Frosting recipe which tastes just like homemade marshmallow frosting !


This post featured on:


Seven Minute Frosting

1 ½ cups sugar
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

Place all ingredients, except vanilla, in top of a double boiler.  Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan.  Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes.  Remove from heat and beat in vanilla.

Enjoy!!!

15 comments:

  1. Oh this is too much fun! That is great that you had your kids help out...such a great activity for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Anytime you can get kids in the kitchen and playing with food, is a good thing!

      Delete
  2. These cupvakes scream taste and fun my friend :D
    Too cute!

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you!!! They were tons of fun, something that I think should be part of every cooking experience!! :)

      Delete
  3. My little girl loves rainbow cupcakes... She wants the frosting colorful too. We use pastel sprinkles on top. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sprinkles on top...I should have done that, would have been beautiful in the pictures! I will have to do that next time!

      Delete
  4. Wow these look like fun. My sister just had a baby and as soon as he's big enough i'll end up pumping him full of sugar. Your blog is great just stumbled upon it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love that you stumbled upon my blog and I hope you get some great ideas for that sweet baby boy! Kids make baking even more fun!

      Delete
  5. It looks like so much fun to make. I think I found a project for the next time the grandchildren come to visit. These cupcakes are absolutely beautiful, and thanks for the tip about using the gel colors. I think that makes all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene! I think you and the grandkids will have a lot of fun making these together! :)

      Delete
  6. These cupcakes look so cool! I def have to try this. NIce job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! Must try them very soon - might experiment with different colours too - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors! Been meaning to try this but always end up making the conventional ones. Next time, this will not be passed over. :) great job!

    ReplyDelete