Monday, January 16, 2012

Sleepovers and Homemade Pizza!!


If you have children you will understand why I am so exhausted today!  This weekend my two boys had sleepovers and in total there were five teenage boys in the house (technically 4 teens and 1 pre-teen).  Let me start by telling you that I LOVE having a house full of children.  The house is filled with laughter and kids running around and yummy food smells and it's basically like an indoor carnival! Plus, I am lucky enough to have great kids with great friends who like to hang out with me.  It is always fun but it is tiring too.  Last night I didn't get much sleep between the marshmallow gun wars, the loud video games, the Spongebob show playing and oh yes, the goldfish cracker basketball game.  I awoke to what looked like a Pepperidge Farm masacre, goldfish everywhere!


The highlight of the sleepover (for me) was making homemade personal pizzas!  We had all the usual toppings and the most delicious pizza crust ever!  I always use Tyler Florence's recipe for pizza dough (excuse me while I fan myself, just thinking of him gives me a hot flash) because it is a never-fail recipe.  The only thing I change is that I prefer to use bread flour for my pizza dough, it makes a crisper crust.  Everyone fixed their own pizzas and they turned out great!  We finished off the meal with some homemade s'mores whoopie pies! Happy kids, happy Mom!!


Pizza Dough

1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon kosher salt
Extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting


In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water; stir gently to dissolve. Let the mixture stand until the yeast comes alive and starts to foam, about 5 to 10 minutes.


Turn the mixer on low and add the salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the flour, a little at a time, mixing at the lowest speed until all the flour has been incorporated. When the dough starts to come together, increase the speed to medium; stop the machine periodically to scrape the dough off the hook. Get a feel for the dough by squeezing a small amount together: if it's crumbly, add more water; if it's sticky, add more flour - 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix until the dough gathers into a ball, this should take about 5 minutes.


Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold it over itself a few times; kneading until it's smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a round and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn it over to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise in a warm spot (i.e. over a gas pilot light) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.


Once the dough is domed and spongy, turn it out onto a lightly floured counter. Roll and stretch the dough into a cylinder and divide into 3 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes so it will be easier to roll out.


Preheat oven to 500 degrees F and place rack on the lowest rung in the oven.


Roll or stretch by hand each piece of dough into a 12" circle and place on baking sheet or pizza stone.  Add your favorite toppings!  Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until crust is brown and crispy!


Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence on Food Network

4 comments:

  1. Great pizza dough. We eat pizza about 3 times a week. And my daughter works at a pizza place on top of that. Sad but true. Lol! Nice to meet you. Look forward to seeing more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! I'm not much of a pizza fan unless it's homemade or from a REALLY good pizza place. Luckily, super easy to make.

    Looking forward to sharing recipes with you on Foodbuzz!!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made a pizza in my life! The pizza dough recipe looks great to start with, for a novice like me. Thanks for sharing. Happy following your blog.
    http://easyfoodsmith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easyfoodsmith- It is very easy....just make sure you have a warm place to let it rise! I always put my yeast doughs in the cabinet above the oven and turn the oven on to warm it up. Happy baking!!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete