Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies


Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies or as my family calls them, Homemade Nutter Butters!!  These taste like a Nutter Butter only better.  The peanut butter filling is a light and fluffy peanut butter cream that is to die for!!  I love making these, not only because they are so yummy but also because everyone is always so impressed by them.  Little do they know, these are super easy to make.  There you have it...my secret is out!


I found this recipe in a Martha Stewart cookbook years ago and my boys and I have been hooked ever since.  I make them exactly as she does, including the shape, but if it seems like too much work to cut them into rectangles, feel free to use shaped cookie cutters.  I am sure that would be very cute!


Daily Dish Magazine


Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies (Homemade Nutter Butters)

Cookies:
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ sticks butter, room temperature
¾ cup smooth peanut butter
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cups packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.  Place butter, peanut butter and both sugars in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment; beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the egg and vanilla, and beat to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl.  With mixer on low, add reserved flour mixture and beat just until incorporated, about 1 minute.

Divide dough in half and shape into two flattened disks.  Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to ¼ inch thickness.  Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 2 ½ by 1 inch rectangles.  Using the floured tines of a fork, score the top of each cookie.  Transfer cookies to baking sheets, placing 1 ½ inches apart, and refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.

Bake until edges are lightly golden and firm in the center, about 15 minutes.  Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Filling:
6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
¾ cup smooth peanut butter
3 tablespoons heavy cream

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all ingredients.  Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.  Use immediately, or transfer to refrigerator for 3 days.

Using an offset spatula, spread 1 tablespoon filling onto the flat side of half the cookies.  Sandwich with remaining cookies, keeping the flat sides down.  Once filled, cookies are best eaten the same day, but can be kept in refrigerator for a week.

Makes 3 dozen cookie sandwiches


Adapted from marthastewart.com  

Recipe Shared On:
Foodie Friends Friday

19 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I've never seen such a cookie - but my family will love them!! We are huge peanut butter cookie eaters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! They are really addictive...hope you enjoy the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh me!!! I haven't even had one of these beauties and I'm already totally addicted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim you will have to give them a try and let me know what you think! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Nutter Butters, so I can only imagine how incredible a homemade version would be. They look to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, these would have come in handy last night during my time of mourning... Patriots... let's not go there. Well, I can extend my depression into today and use these cookies as an excuse to get out of my rut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie-
    I understand how you feel....we too are in mourning today. I hope these cookies do help you feel better. We are finishing off the cake pops as our post-game therapy!

    Becky ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh, nostalgia at it's best! You've got me craving these big time, now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willow! Now you'll have to make them!! ;)

      Delete
  9. Oooh, my wife would kill for these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to make them soon!
      I have been reading about your Ancient Roman Feast and it looked spectacular! So much fun and such interesting recipes! Very creative!!

      Delete
  10. Well, you pretty much had me at peanut butter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big smiles! I feel the same way about peanut butter! I can live without many foods but potatoes and peanut butter are not optional! :)

      Delete
  11. These sandwich cookies look insane :D
    Ever seen an Artnott's shortbread? These are the identical peanut butter cousins ;)
    Yum!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who can resist a nutter butter! :-) Yum, yum yum... can't wait to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. G'day and can I get some to go? :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Viewed as part of Foodie Friends Friday Peanut Butter Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Joanne! Happy Peanut Butter Party! :)

      Delete
  14. Popping by from Foodie Friends Friday to say your cookies look DIVINE! "Nutter Butters" are one of my husband's favorite cookies! These will surely be made! Thanks for sharing! :) (Kelly from wildflourskitchen.com) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kelly, for stopping by and for the kind words! Have a great weekend!

      Delete