Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten Free)


Over the years I've gotten requests from clients for gluten free baked goods.  I always feel really bad that I have to answer no but the truth is, I don't like to sell anything that I feel isn't my best.  All of those rice flours, quinoa flours, and oat flours scare me because I don't know if I can make them taste as good the wheat flour.

Well, I'm tired of being scared so I've decided to try out some gluten free recipes and see how I do.  Ok, ok , ok.....these cookies don't have any type of flour in them at all but I'm starting with the known before I move into the unknown!  Baby steps people!  I did my gluten free research and found a few recipes without any flour and decided to start with those.  So far I've made these cookies and a flourless chocolate cake (to die for).  Next I'll buy some rice flour and start playing around with new recipes.  I think everyone deserves the right to eat my delicious baked treats, so I better start making them accessible to everyone!

My son's reaction when he tasted them..."I don't know what the big deal is Mom, they taste like really good Peanut Butter Cookies....not like you left out the flour".  Honestly, that's what I thought too!  The only problem with them is that I kept telling myself they were healthier without the flour and couldn't stop myself from eating a bunch of them!  Good luck!  :)

Peanut Butter Cookies (gluten free) adapted from Real Simple

2 cups peanut butter (not the all-natural variety) 
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
(can add a handful of chocolate chips, toffee bits, or peanut butter chips for fun)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350° F.

Using an electric mixer, beat the peanut butter and sugars on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and beat in the eggs, baking soda, vanilla, and salt.

Roll heaping tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart. With a fork, press the dough, making a crisscross pattern on top of each cookie.

Bake until the edges are set, approximately 10 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Recipe shared on:
Hearth and Soul Blog Hop

6 comments:

  1. Oh Becky, I know EXACTLY what you mean! I feel so intimidated by all the different flours and some of the ingredients I'm not familiar with that even though I'm blogging friends with some great gluten free bloggers I've been really nervous about trying to bake gluten free! Your Peanut Butter Cookies look and sound amazing - I don't think I'd be able to eat just one either! Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Pinning and will tweet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky recently shared some of these with me and oh....my..... excellent doesn't begin to describe them. They melt in your mouth, and bath your tastebuds in a delightful peanut butter goodness....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete