Monday, February 4, 2013

German Chocolate Cupcakes


I don't know why it has taken me so long to make German Chocolate Cupcakes.  German Chocolate cake is my families all time favorite cake.  It is the cake my Mom and siblings request for all of their birthdays.  My Mom has been making it from the recipe that has been printed on the back of the Baker's box for all of my life and I have never tasted a recipe for this cake that is better.


Believe it or not, I've only made the cake once before.  Why would I make it when no one makes it as good as Mom does?  It's true, you can follow that woman's recipes but nothing you make will ever taste as good as she makes it!  


The cake is incredibly tender from the buttermilk and not too sweet.  But my favorite part is the coconut-pecan frosting.  O M G....so good I can eat it from the pan, with a spoon, no cake necessary!   The trick to the frosting is to let it sit and thicken.  You can even refrigerate it for a little bit to speed up the process.  It takes a while but it's totally worth it!


So, this is the first time I've made or even had a German Chocolate Cupcake.....I just really wanted to make them into a cupcake since that seems to be my specialty.  When I googled pictures I saw these beautiful cupcakes with frosting piped around the outer edges, holding in all of that yummy coconut frosting.  They were made by "Your Cup of Cake".  I used my own recipe from my Mom for the cake and coconut frosting and followed the Cup of Cake's lead with the chocolate frosting and design.  So pretty and sooooo delish!!!


Foodie Friends Friday

 German Chocolate Cupcakes Baker's Original Recipe

Cupcake (or cake):
1 package (4 oz) Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
4 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Melt chocolate in boiling water, cool.  Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each.  Blend in vanilla and chocolate.  Sift flour with soda and salt; add alternatively with buttermilk to chocolate mixture, beating after each addition until smooth.  Fold in beaten egg whites.  Pour into paper lined cupcake pans, filling 2/3 full (alternatively for cake, pour into three 9-inch layer pans).  Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean, approximately 16 minutes.  Take out of oven and cool on rack.

Coconut-Pecan Frosting:
Combine 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, 3 slightly beaten egg yolks, 1/2 cup butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes.  Take off heat and stir in 1 1/3 cups coconut and 1 cup chopped pecans.  Cool until thick enough to spread, beating occasionally.  Makes 2 1/2 cups.

Chocolate Buttercream:
4 ounces cream cheese
½ cup butter
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cream 

Beat cream cheese and butter for 4 minutes. Add cocoa, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Let beat for 3 minutes. Add cream and beat until creamy and fluffy.  

Assemble Cupcake:
Make a frosting border around the cupcake with the chocolate buttercream.  Scoop the coconut pecan frosting into the middle of the frosting border.  Alternatively you can forgo the chocolate buttercream and scoop more of the coconut pecan frosting onto the cupcake.


Recipe shared on:

19 comments:

  1. So pretty and one of Mark's favorites too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! do you know where they've got their name from? save one for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are named German Chocolate Cake (originally called German's Chocolate Cake) after a chocolatier with the last name of German. He created the chocolate that eventually led to the recipe for this cake! It is not (as you probably know) a German recipe at all! Fun facts that not many people know! :)

      Delete
  3. What a delicious and incredibly beautiful looking cupcake my friend :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOOO CUTE! And my mom has recipes that are absolutely the best only when she makes them. It must be magical mom powers. If your mom's are better than these beauties, I could imagine what they'd taste like! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are for sure magical mom powers! I hope when my boys are older they think that about my recipes! :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Becky,

    I have never baked German chocolate cake and would love to try them one day. Making them into cupcakes is a brilliant idea as I reckon your cupcakes look super amazing!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! You should try them, it's always fun to make something new! :)

      Delete
  6. Wowza! I have been looking for a great new cupcake recipe! I recently made a German chocolate cake and darn I didn't even think about making cupcakes. You are brilliant. Can't wait to try them! Thanks for sharing on FFF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! :)

      I can make ANYTHING into a cupcake!!! Love them! :)

      Delete
  7. Becky,
    I wanted to thank you for linking this recipe to the Foodie Friends Friday Linky party! I have selected your recipe as my host favorite this week! Your recipe will be featured on Foodie Friends Friday Daily Dish on Monday as well as on my blog, http://www.AdornedWell.blogspot.com. We will also share on FB, Pinterest and StumbleUpon! We have a "host favorite" button you are welcome to add to your recipe post or blog if you wish. You can find it at http://www.adornedwell.blogspot.com/p/pick-up-my-buttons.html near the bottom.

    Congrats!
    Kelly {Adorned Well}
    http://www.AdornedWell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, Kelly, Kelly!!! What a great message to wake up to! Thank you so much for featuring my recipe, I am always so excited to be part of Foodie Friends and so thankful for all of you who are hosts! I will head over now and get my button!! :)

      Delete
    2. I'll share the Foodie Friends Friday Daily Dish and the Adorned Well blog links for you later. The posts will be featured at noon EST/11 a.m. CST tomorrow! I've already pinned! Love me some German chocolate and your recipe looks divine! :)

      Delete
  8. What a delicious looking cupcake! Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look fabulously wonderful! What a great idea. The ruffled frosting just makes them even more beautiful. Congrats on being featured at FFF! Pinning!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look wonderful, how many does one batch make???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Baker Becky.
    How many CCs does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete