Sunday, April 1, 2012

Honeyed Apple Torte


I have had two children and I LOVE to bake and cook (and eat!) so on many occasions I have wanted to watch my weight and eat lighter.  Since I am morally opposed to the word "DIET" (the worst four letter word there is) I typically just try to eat healthier and exercise more.  One of my favorite places to turn for lighter recipes is the magazine "Cooking Light".  This is NOT a cookbook of diet food but rather gourmet recipes with a lot of flavor and less fat and calories.  Way back in 1999 after my youngest son, Max, was born I found this recipe for Honeyed Apple Torte.  Sooooo YUMMY!  The apples are caramelized a bit in honey and lemon juice and then arranged in this very simple cake batter.  It looks really cool after it has baked and it tastes delish.  I am a bit of a freak for any dessert with apples and this one is too good to pass up.


I am not selling it as a "healthy" dessert.....just as a dessert that is full of tender caramel apple flavor and a hint of cinnamon.  You can even top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if it makes you feel better!  I am going to sneak into the kitchen for another slice before it's all gone!  :)

Honeyed Apple Torte
Serves 10

1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and each cut into 8 wedges (about 1 1/4 pounds) 
3/4 cup granulated sugar 
6 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened 
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon granulated sugar 
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine honey and lemon juice in a large nonstick skillet; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add apples; cook 14 minutes or until almost tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; set aside.

Beat 3/4 cup granulated sugar, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon rind. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Pour batter into a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray.

Remove apples from skillet with a slotted spoon; discard remaining liquid. Arrange apple slices spoke-like on top of batter, pressing slices gently into batter. Combine 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over apples. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into wedges using a serrated knife.

Cooking Light-SEPTEMBER 1999

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Anita! I know it's not as exciting as some of my other recipes but it is so easy and yummy and I hope people give this recipe a try! :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations :D
    I have awarded you on my blog - enjoy right here:
    http://gobakeyourself.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/give-me-a-grin-for-easter-2012/

    You deserve it :)
    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all of your support and always being so kind and encouraging. I love your blog and enjoy sharing our recipes with each other! :)

      Delete
  3. Well, this recipe is not something I would of thought to make. But, I love trying new recipes and this looks like a fun one to make. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you give it a try, it really is quite simple and delicious!

      Delete
  4. YUMMY! Nice job Becky!

    Once I sort out the mess that is my life, we'll sort out when I'm going to do a guest post. I promise I haven't forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir Liam! Please take your time and feel no pressure from me, I will be ready whenever you are! :)

      Delete