Sunday, December 30, 2012

Confetti Cupcakes


Yes, I know....I disappeared again!  I spent the last three weeks of December baking for clients but had no time to do any photographing or blogging.  Right now I'm working on baking my New Years Eve specials.  For this holiday I offered Snowball Cupcakes (aka my Coconut Cupcakes) and Confetti Cupcakes.  I thought these were perfect desserts to offer for winter time celebrating!


I really wanted to offer a champagne cupcake but I still haven't had success with those, gotta keep working on creating the perfect champagne cupcake....maybe by NYE next year!


I have never actually had a "Funfetti" cupcake from the box but I have seen people serve them over the years and they look like a celebration cupcake to me.  I thought they would be so much fun to make from scratch and the perfect cupcake to offer for NYE (or a Birthday, for that matter).  I LOVE when people start tossing out the confetti at midnight on New Years.  I love to see the sky littered with colors, raining down over everyone.  That is what I hoped to capture with these cupcakes!


I bought several different colors of jimmies (the best candies to use for these cupcakes because they melt best) and mixed them myself.  I wanted all of the bright, happy colors!  Then I made a vanilla white cupcake batter and mixed them in.  


I probably could have added more jimmies to the mix, but I like that there's not too many.  I want to be able to taste all of that yummy vanilla bean and have the colorful jimmies just be there for the added color.


Most of the time people frost their Confetti Cupcakes with a vanilla buttercream but I am in love with my Seven Minute Frosting recipe and I think it is soooooo good on ANY cupcake.  Besides, who doesn't LOVE that marshmallow flavor laced with vanilla?  Plus, it's super light and fluffy and we have had enough heavy, rich foods to last us a few months!


I don't want to toot my own horn....but......"TOOT TOOT"!!!  I think these cupcakes are sooooo cute!  Plus....they are delicious!  My boys loved them and so did my clients!


Make these cupcakes, pop the cork on the champagne bottle and let's celebrate!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Confetti Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
6 tbsp butter, room temperature
1 large egg + 1 egg white, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (my preference)
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles + more to decorate the top of the cupcake after frosting

Preheat oven to 350F and line cupcake pan with paper liners.

In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a mixer, beat the sugar and butter until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Add egg and egg white, one at a time, beating on low.  Add vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk in 2 additions, ending with the flour mixture. Fold in 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles.

Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.  Pipe or spoon Seven Minute Frosting onto each cupcake and decorate with remaining sprinkles.

Seven Minute Frosting
makes enough frosting for 3 dozen cupcakes

1 ½ cups sugar
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

Place all ingredients, except vanilla, in top of a double boiler.  Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan.  Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes.  Remove from heat and beat in vanilla.

Recipe shared on:
My Turn For Us - Freedom Friday's
Adorned From Above - Wednesday Blog Hop
Chocolate, Chocolate, and more - Thursday's Treasures
Foodie Friends Friday





9 comments:

  1. Your cupcakes look so yummy! Stopping by from the Let's Get Social Hop! I love your blog. Your newest follower. :)

    Happy New Year!

    Kathy @ www.lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Becky these look gorgeous. Whenever I try to make funfetti from scratch my sprinkles bleed and then I end up with purplish cupcakes >_< . Love how fluffy they look!

    Have a Happy New Year!!

    Jess @ On Sugar Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute and sound delicious. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Please come back Sunday to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fun! Following from Let's Get Social Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look amazing! i'm now following you through social sunday. love all your cupcakes!! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cupcake wrappers. Great photos and recipe. Thank you for posting.
    Exede Deals And Plans

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to use this recipe for a post on DAILY DISH! It will be on Super Bowl party food and be posted in the next day or so. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Been at school all day and just saw this!! So exciting! I also see you sent the link below....let me know when it is up and I will plug it on Facebook! Thanks so much!!

      Delete
  8. Here is the link: http://www.foodiefriendsfridaydailydish.com/superbowl-football-party/?fb_source=pubv1

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete